School travel plans
All schools in Suffolk have developed a School Travel Plan as part of a joint initiative supported by the Department for Education and the Department for Transport. As part of this initiative, state schools were also provided with a grant to help support the implementation of their action plan.
By regularly updating your travel plan, you will be able to monitor travel to school, record any new issues or improvements required and plan for future work. All of this is easily coordinated with key documents such as the School Development Plan and curriculum planning. You may find that an updated plan is needed for key events such as planning applications or to meet a planning condition.
Guidance and templates
Your Schools' Travel Plan must be uploaded on Modeshift STARS. registered on Modeshift STARS - this is free to use. Simply upload your existing travel plan into the template provided
Modeshift STARS is a national awards scheme which recognises the excellence shown by schools, and will help to sustain the work that is being done. Schools can record and monitor all activities and initiatives that support the travel plan such as Bikeability and Junior Road Safety Officer schemes.
Sign up for free by following these steps:
- Visit www.modeshiftstars.org and choose your location from the list of local authorities that appears.
- Select the ‘Register’ tab from the top right corner of the page.
- On the registration page, enter your name, select ‘School’ and then select the role that is most appropriate to your position in the school (e.g. School Travel Plan Champion).
- Ensure ‘Your LA’ is correct and then select your school from the drop down menu.
- Complete the rest of the registration form and then select ‘Register’.
Click the links for more help and guidance:
- Suffolk School Travel Plan Guidance (PDF, 62KB)
- Modeshift STARS School Travel Plan Guidance (PDF, 227KB)
- DfE Home to School Travel and Transport Guidance (PDF, 403KB)
- DfE Post-16 Transport to Education and Training Guidance (PDF, 236KB)
If you need any further advice or guidance on writing a travel plan contact the Travel Plan team at firstname.lastname@example.org.